Star Wars Battlefront hasn’t quite received the grand reception that EA was anticipating, but the game has still had a solid release in most markets. One surprise was Battlefront’s top spot in the Japanese market — taking no. 1 in the charts after just a week.
The main competition that Battlefront has faced comes from the likes of Halo 5, Fallout 4, and Call of Duty Black Ops III. However, due to the focus on western markets that these games have it helps make more sense of the success of Star Wars Battlefront in Japan.
Adding on to that, the Playstation 4 — the place where Battlefront has thrived the most, doubling the sales of that of Xbox One and PC — is dominating the home console market by a wide margin in markets outside N.A. — and especially so in Japan.
The sales, published by Japanese site, 4gamer.net (and translated by gematsu), are listed below.
Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- [PS4] Star Wars Battlefront (EA, 11/19/15) – 123,908 (New)
- [PS4] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book (Gust, 11/19/15) – 30,759 (New)
- [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book (Gust, 11/19/15) – 25,805 (New)
- [PSV] Omega Labyrinth (D3 Publisher, 11/19/15) – 25,113 (New)
- [Wii U] Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Nintendo, 11/21/15) – 20,303 (New)
- [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III (SCE, 10/06/15) – 19,355 (206,801)
- [PS4] Sword Art Online: Game Director’s Edition (Bandai Namco, 11/19/15) – 18,342 (New)
- [Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 17,681 (802,117)
- [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi Omise Hajimerun Desu (Nippon Columbia, 11/19/15) – 16,464 (New)
- [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad (Nintendo, 07/11/15) – 14,700 (1,744,440)